So having a play around with my idea of moving overseas:
- 17-23 JAN in Gold Coast
- 24-30 JAN in Brisbane CBD for linux.conf.au
- 31-06 FEB in Tasmania – Hobart and/or Launceston
- 07-13 FEB in Melbourne
- 14-20 FEB in Sydney
- 21-27 FEB in Brisbane CBD for business (get no time during LCA!)
My logic is:
- Gold Coast Friends/Relaxing/Work – really a good chance to unwind before the conference and get some rest….
- Tasmania – Friends/Work/Relaxing. I don’t expect much work opportunity in the areas I want here, but would be great to meet some of the great tweeple I know. Having a gap between LCA and the AU tour would make sense in that it gives me more time to line up meetings with contacts made at LCA.
- Melbourne – Friends/Work. Meet up with a couple people I know and look at work opportunities – of all AU cities I’ve been to, this is the one I enjoy the most.
- Sydney – Friends/Work. Sydney has some of the bigger international companies, so if I want to use AU as a hop to Europe, this is a good place to be looking at.
- Brisbane – Friends/Work. I won’t have much time during LCA, so it’s best to come back to Brisbane afterwards for work meetings and hang with a few friends once they’ve recovered a bit from the conference. ;-)
I think it will depend on whether I get any jobs lined up before I go to AU, could be I get some offers for European or AU companies before I even leave NZ, in which case it’s basically a bit of a holiday. :-)
At the end of Feb, I have three main options – try to find a position in AU if haven’t found one already, go further overseas (eg: Europe) or return to NZ.