So 2010 has been a pretty eventful year….
- Ran Amberdms as a three person company for a while and did entirely too much work, got pretty burnt out TBH.
- Accepted a new job at my previous employer with exciting new challenges and saner hours.
- Learnt a lot about myself – my interests, how I handle stress, love, rejection, etc.
- Made many new friends and actually developed a bit of a social life which is now impacting on time available for geekery…. I blame Twitter entirely for introducing me to interesting and fun people.
- Finally updated this blog to WordPress ;-)
So what do I want to achieve in 2011?
- Reduce the amount of “stuff” I own. Not quite to the whole cult-of-less approach, but I really have far too many computers, gadgets and other bits and pieces that I’ve managed to collect over the past 10 years.
- Tempted to sell off my data center gear and reduce to just a couple boxes running large numbers of virtual machines.
- Get back into enjoying IT more – I still love it, but the amount of work I’ve done lately has it feeling a bit like a chore and less like fun. So I want to do some fun projects in 2011 just for my enjoyment :-)
- Be a more relaxed, less stressed person. Not doing 60-80 work weeks will certainly help. :-)
- Keep the flat tidier…. I’ve spent hours getting the place into a liveable condition and it’s far far nicer this way, aim to keep it that way. Reducing the amount of stuff I own will also help there….
- Figure out relationships, love, sex, etc. What am I after, who do I want and where my interests lie. And have fun doing so. :-)
- Figure out life goals – what do I want to achieve in the next 10 years?
- Keep making regular blog posts, I actually really enjoy writing, it’s just tricky finding the time…
In terms of projects, there’s a few neat things floating around in my head that I’m considering:
- Move from proprietary microblogging (eg twitter) to open source microblogging (eg statusnet or dispora) yet still maintain ability to communicate with all my friends on Twitter.
- Really, really, want a better open source twitter and status.net/identica capable client, I may sit down and write one if I can’t find anything good soon.
- Build a Linux From Scratch system. I last did that in college and it’s so much fun. Extracting tarballs, patching, compiling, etc, etc :-)
- Considering writing a book on IT policy and professionalism, basically stuff I’ve learnt from the 5 years I’ve been in IT that I wish I could have known when I was first starting, rather than having to find the hard way.
- Secret coding stuff I can’t talk about ;-)
So those are my plans/goals/resolutions- what are your ones for 2011?