I tend to travel semi-frequently for work, currently seems about twice a month, mostly between Wellington and Auckland.
Lately I’ve come to the conclusion that Air New Zealand, is infact, the worst domestic airline in NZ.
- Consistently late flights – my flight this evening was 40mins late getting off the tarmac at the airport, with no acknowledgement from airport staff other than “the flight is 5minutes late” whilst waiting at the gate – and this is hardly the first time, I’d estimate that 1/3 flights with Air NZ are late.
- Loud noisy aircraft being promoted as “new upgrades” – I’ve been on a few flights with the new A320s that I wrote about recently and they are noisy, noisy craft with loud hums/buzzings whilst taxing, dodgy sounding hydraulics and weird flight habits of going up/down repeatedly during the trip – you know it’s bad when the pilot has to warn you about the noises as being normal before takeoff :-/
- Expensive airfares and annoying fare change surcharges on already pricey tickets.
- Inability to organise meals and subsequent inability to credit or reimburse me for the class of ticket I had paid which included such meals.
In comparison, all my latest flights with more budget airlines, have infact been reasonably good – most likely due to the fact that they provide only the basics so there’s not much to fuck up.
- All my JetStar flights I’ve taken in the past year have been ontime – JetStar has a bit of a dodgy rep in NZ, but I’m not seeing anything better from AirNZ.
- My recent Pacific Blue flight to AU was far cheaper than AirNZ, got me there in the same amount of time and the planes aren’t noisy.
- Neither airline have obnoxious safety videos telling me that “you’re a giraffe!”. I’M NOT A FUCKING GIRAFFE!
- Oh and they’re typically far cheaper. Why do I want to pay more for equally as bad service AirNZ? I might as well pay for the one that’s cheapest if you’re going to be as poor as a budget airline.
In additional rage:
- AirNZ has an extremely annoying habbit of calling “landing time, electronics away” well before landing is due to take place – not sure if this is legalistic requirements or not, but laptops away 25mins before landing on a 1 hour flight is just annoying.
- Stop giving me silly paper serviettes with everything, I can eat cheese or muesli without needing one!
- I landed late tonight, got wet AND worst of all, missed out on a tasty vege burger because they had closed. I for one, blame Rob Fyfe personally for my distinct lack of delicious non-nutrition this evening and forcing me into a healthy home cooked meal.
- $20 per MB means I couldn’t tweet FOR AN ENTIRE HOUR. AN ENTIRE HOUR. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS? THOUSANDS OF FOLLOWERS HANGING ONTO EVERY WORD OF DODGY FACT, LOST FOR AN ENTIRE HOUR.
Ok, to be fair, I can’t blame AirNZ for all this, but I’m getting pretty sick of even domestic air travel fast and I’m really failing to see any value added by AirNZ, compared to the budget airlines that are appearing.